To better understand the Italian legislation on fire prevention, which is probably the most severe at the European level, it is necessary to give a definition of reaction to fire and resistance to fire.
The reaction to fire expresses the degree of participation in the fire of products such as, for example:
- curtains, blankets, bedspreads, upholstered furniture (chairs, armchairs, sofas, sofa beds, mattresses, etc.)
- non-upholstered furniture (chairs, tables, desks, container furniture, school desks, etc.) ;
- walls, floors, countertops
- wall and ceiling coverings
- fire-retardant paints applied on wood materials
It is not to be confused with the fire resistance (REI), expressed in minutes, which indicates the ability of an element to maintain, for a fixed period of time, the required stability and / or resistance and / or thermal insulation to the fire, and / or any other expected performance, guaranteeing the carrying capacity (R), the smoke seal (E) and the maintenance of acceptable temperatures on the face not exposed to flames (I). Fire resistance is applied only to products intended to be incorporated or permanently assembled in buildings and other civil engineering works as building materials (walls, roofs, beams, pillars) and is not the subject of this publication which only concerns furnishing items (such as furniture) that are certified by ASTRA VERNICI Srl
FIRE PROTECTION: WHO IS SUBJECT TO (according to the Italian Standards)
In some places (generally public buildings such as schools, hospitals, gyms, cinemas, theaters, airports, banks, tourist facilities, fitness centers, exhibitions, shops, places of worship, etc.) it is essential that the elements of covering and / or furnishing have self-extinguishing properties in order to stop the combustion ends once the trigger ends.
The goal is to delay the propagation times of the fire because every minute of slowing in the propagation of the flames can be decisive for saving human lives.
In Italy, except for the products subject by the Directive CEE/89/106, the fire reaction classes, are:
- Class 0 (zero) for non-combustible materials (marble, concrete, plaster, metals);
- Class 1 (the most severe one for those combustible materials that properly treated pass standard tests)
- Class 2 - 3 - 4 and 5 for combustible materials (except upholstered furniture);
The purpose of our paints BLAZE-STOP is retard as much as possible the propagation of the fire.
According to the Italian law regulation (D.M. 6 March 1992), the fire-retardant coatings used in activities subject to fire prevention rules must be approved in advance. The approval shall be granted only by the Ministry of the Interior as a result of the test certificate that certifies the class of reaction to fire.
The determination of the reaction to fire, according to the DM 06/03/1992, is done in compliance with the UNI 9796 standard, which can be summarized as follows:
- The product is applied on a 4 mm MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) panel certified as "non-flame retardant (class 4 or 5) ”.
- This panel is painted in the vicinity of an incandescent plate at the same time as a free flame acting at one end thereof, in order to simulate both the ignition trigger and the conditions which are formed during a closed fire. .
- By measuring some parameters as flame propagation speed, extension of the burned area and others, the reaction class of the fire-retardant paint is attributed .
FIELDS OF APPLICATION
Our BLAZE-STOP fire retarder two-component polyurethanes can be adapted to all the interior design applications such as claddings, furniture, doors, beading and more, with performances absolutely comparable to the best traditional cycles.
Moreover these products are characterized for:
- Wide range of use (spra, brush, roller)
- Excellent final loof and floating
- High resistance to yellowing over time (UNI 9427/89)
- High elasticity and flexability
- High resistance to cold liquids according to EN 12720/97
- Extra surface hardness, mar resistance and step step ability
- High yield (very little quantity of product to be applied in comparison to the competitors products available in the market)
- Extra value for money
- Ease of use (catalyst 1: 1 by weight and minimum dilution)
PROCEDURE TO GET THE DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY
1) ASTRA VERNICI issus to the user of the product (the painter) b>, after the compilation of a specific pre-printed form delivered with the material and having sent it back ASTRA, a certificate of conformity stateing the correspondence of the product to the sample approved at ministerial is given..
The certificate contains :
- User identification
- Product identification and delivery note or invoice
- Product conformity data (this is also on the label)
- Indication of the period of validity of the product from its application (five years, as required by law) .
2) The user of the product (the painter) in turn issues to his client a certificate b> in which he declares to have performed the application in a workmanlike manner according to the manufacturer's prescription, together with the certificate of conformity issued by ASTRA PAINTINGS.
The methods of use are those provided by ASTRA VERNICI in its technical sheet which the user must scrupulously follow.
The BLAZE-STOP series products are available in metal packs of 25 kg and 5 kg net.
12 months if stored in a fresh environment and in original and sealed containers.
ASTRA VERNICI S.r.l. is only responsible for the correspondence of paint with the approved standard, while the user is responsible for scrupulously following the TDS provided by ASTRA VERNICI
For those who haven't prior experience with the fire redarder standards, we recommend that first double check theem by directly asking the Fire Marshall.
DETAIL OF FIRE-RESISTANT CYCLES
With the products of the BLAZE-STOP series (transparent or white, opaque or glossy) the quantity of wet product to be applied to get the class 1 standard is really minimal (400 gr / m² in total of "wet" product), while the chemical and physical resistances will remain at the very top. .
CLEAR CYCLE (MATT OR GLOSSY)
(total 3 hands per 400 g / m total of wet product)
WHITE PIGMENTED CYCLE (MATT OR GLOSSY)
(total 3 hands, for a total of 400 gr./m² of wet product)